Thursday, December 07, 2006

1-800-454-9078

Update: Looks like it really was Chase who called me. Damn phishers making everyone paranoid.

Today I've received two calls on my cellphone supposedly from 1-800-454-9078.

The automated call claims to be from Fraud Center at Chase and is asking me to verify information regarding my Chase PriorityClub credit card. The caller has my cellphone number and the last four digits of my credit card. I can only imagine what the caller wants to do with the data.

I use this credit card very seldom. In fact, I haven't used it for months before yesterday. Someone, somewhere swiped my credit card information yesterday. Very interesting. I used the credit card on two online stores yesterday. Both supposedly VERY reputable. Either they, their credit card processing company of my PC have been hacked.

I don't think it's my PC, because I make purchases from it using other credit cards all the time, and I haven't received similar phonecalls about my other credit cards before.

Let's see what kind of payments will start appearing on my credit card this week.

-TPP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This can actually happen when the fraud center notices an irregular pattern of use. Like you said you haven't used it in months and all of the sudden it rings up a sale. Also depending on the size of the sale the fraud center may receive red flags.

You should try calling the 800 number back.

While phone phishing is starting to occur more frequently this might be legit.

Did they ask for stuff like SSN, etc.?

madfinn said...

Good point.

Maybe it really is Chase. And the transactions I made yesterday were kinda irregular: first time I used the card in about four months and for fairly large amounts as well.

I think I'll call the regular number on the credit card to find out for sure.