Friday, May 05, 2006

PGR3 Tournament elimination round 1 completed

7 racers showed up for the 3-lap race. I came in 6th and got eliminated.

Here's how the race went from my perspective.

I started at last place on the inside. I went into the first corner taking an inside lane and then cars just started coming in from all directions. I'm sure I hit my fair share of cars as well. I use the in-car view when racing, so visibility is pretty bad. I don't even know how I ended up on the 3rd place after the 2nd corner.

I approach the 4th corner side by side with the 2nd place car. He is slightly in front so I slow down to take the line behind him. The 4th place car catches up on me, bumps me, then starts swerving and falls behind. I'm in the third place and stay there until midway through the second lap.

I scrape an inside wall on a chicane, and the 4th place car gets ahead of me and I fall back to 4th. The 5th place car is WAY back. The race is pretty much in the bag at this point.

That all changed in the first corner of the final lap, however. The 2nd place car screws up the corner pretty badly and I basically get stuck behind him while the 5th place car catches up on us and overtakes me.

We race right at each others' bumpers until the 3rd last corner where I'm feeling pretty good at my chances of overtaking these two guys. Bad idea...

I go into the corner with way too much speed and collide with the 3rd place car. The 4th place car somehow manages to avoid the brunt of the crash. The 6th place car catches up on us and overtakes me to come in 5th. I finish 6th.

Thankfully my boneheaded move didn't affect the race results as the 3rd and 4th place cars end up finishing at those positions.

I'll post videos of the race later. Here's The Crash footage as an appetizer:

The Crash from Sackamonjaro's viewpoint

It's a good one! :)

-TPP

No comments: